Hi, my name is Daniel. This is a blog of my 4th year software engineering project at The University of Sydney (ELEC4707).

The title of my project is Painting with the Wii. In short, this project involves integrating DirectX into a program designed for painting with a Wii remote (or Wiimote).

I will be continually updating this blog throughout the course of the project. Please check back reguarly for updates!


Thursday, August 7, 2008

Functional Spec / DirectX Experimentation / Usability Questions

This week I am focusing on creating a list of minimum required functionality for this project. Since the discovery that machine learning may not be used in the project, I have been trying to come up with some other additions to the functionality of the system.

I have had a short play around with DirectX within C#, and it looks like quite a huge product. I am starting to change my mind slightly about the reason for implementing the whole paint program in DirectX - paint programs are (generally) 2 dimensional. Of course, I could still use DirectX for creating aspects of the program (ie, a 3D colour selection cube). Either way, the experimentation I am doing with DirectX now will no doubt help.

I also noticed that there was a system called XNA, which is a managed version of DirectX specifically for C#. However, this looks to be more tuned for developing 3D games... it could be used to make a paint program I guess... we'll see.


I am also thinking about questions I might be asking in a usability study on my system. This is quite difficult, since I have not come to a detailed understanding of what I am building just yet. I am told by my supervisor that I have to submit my questionnaire to an ethics commitee, to have it approved, before I can use it.

No comments: