Hi, my name is Daniel. This is a blog of my 4th year software engineering project at The University of Sydney (ELEC4707).

The title of my project is Painting with the Wii. In short, this project involves integrating DirectX into a program designed for painting with a Wii remote (or Wiimote).

I will be continually updating this blog throughout the course of the project. Please check back reguarly for updates!

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Project Plan and Development Environment Setup

Yesterday I handed in my project plan. In it, I outlined the various possibilities for the project. I listed a number of things that I would like to achieve in the project, some more likely to be achieved than others.

With the news about the machine learning part of the project being perhaps unnecessary, the task looks to have become simply a programming task (not ruling machine learning entirely however - there still might be a place for it).

I am looking to improve martins program by integrating DirectX graphics with it, to provide a more aesthetically pleasing system that is also more user friendly. This may mean a complete overhaul of the current system, which relies on the inbuilt System.Drawing library for C#, or, it may mean simply implementing DirectX in portions of the program (like the 3D colour selection cube).

I have also been busy setting up my development environment at home on my new computer. I have installed the necessary programs (like Microsoft Visual Studio), and am playing around with the managed library for the Wiimote (available here).

I had a few issues with connecting the Wiimote to my computer via Bluetooth. The software that came with the Bluetooth dongle that I purchased was causing my computer to crash. Eventually I managed to get it to work using Windows Vista's inbuilt Bluetooth devices section (see here).

I am also looking into DirectX development. Hopefully my limited knowledge of OpenGL will help with this side of things...

No comments: