Hi, my name is Daniel. This is a blog of my 4th year software engineering project at The University of Sydney (ELEC4707).

The title of my project is Painting with the Wii. In short, this project involves integrating DirectX into a program designed for painting with a Wii remote (or Wiimote).

I will be continually updating this blog throughout the course of the project. Please check back reguarly for updates!


Thursday, September 25, 2008

Over this past week I have been working on a number of aspects of the program.

1. I have modified the current circle and rectangle tools to make them more useful. Instead of drawing a continuous line of circles or rectangles, each click of the Wiimote's A button draws a single circle / rectangle, which increases in size the longer the A button is pressed.

Originally, I had another plan, of creating a click and drag tool for rectangles and circles, where the user can exactly specify the size of the shape by clicking and dragging. However, this had proved to place too much load on the program, especially when it is a large drawing (lots of shapes), as the whole pane needs to be redrawn each frame (to allow for increasing and decreasing rectangle size).

2. I have also created a save form, to handle saving images. The images are saved to a default location (C:\WPP) and the pane can be saved as a bitmap or jpeg. I may possiblly introduce my own file type (.wpp) if I manage to get shape selection working - a part of the extended functionality. To save an image, the user presses the down arrow on the wiimote (up will be used to Load, if I get this working).

3. I have modified the clear form, to display larger buttons and text. To clear the canvas, the user presses the Home button of the Wiimote

4. I have added a close button to the form.

5. I have implemented Undo / Redo for the most recent change to the drawing canvas. Pressing Left on the Wiimote performs an Undo, while pressing Right does a redo of what was just undone.

And that's about it...

The biggest challenges I have left to overcome are:
- Making the Shape selection tool
- Making the colour selection cube work...

I will try and upload some videos of what I have described in this post asap.

No comments: